Saturday, August 24, 2013

APPLE-CINNAMON TORTILLA ROLL UPS

Yup, I've been away for a while. When family comes to town there's no way I'm spending time on the computer! Mom, Uncle Bruce, Auntie Bonnie, Robbie & Karen were all here for 4 or 5 days, & fun was had by all! Loads (& I mean LOADS) of food, front porchin', some Euchre (btw, Morphine Man Dan & I kicked ass again), thrift storin', & more food!

On Monday, Karen & I are sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office - shouldn't that be a joke or something? "A Yooper & an El Salvadorian walk into a doctor's office . . ." We're looking through magazines & we come across this idea & decide we had to stop & get the ingredients on the way home to give it a try:


APPLE CINNAMON TORTILLA ROLL UPS



But Auntie Bonnie was in town, which means there wasn't much room for any more food in our stomachs, so we never got around to putting it together. However, last night I decided we needed a little something sweet after eating some of the 400 pounds of left overs Auntie Bonnie left behind & I finally took a try at this. I lost the recipe we stole from the waiting room, but it was a pretty simple idea so I decided to wing it. And, upon Jackson's suggestion, I served it with ice cream & honey. Which wasn't in the recipe as I remembered it, but a stellar idea nonetheless. Here is the recipe as I prepared it:


                                                         1 can of Apple Pie Filling
                                                         Cinnamon Sugar
                                                         flour Tortillas
                                                         Butter


(simple instructions in bold print)
(more detailed instructions in plain print)

1.) Warm the tortillas in the microwave. Place enough cinnamon sugar on a plate to cover it evenly.
This is just to soften them a bit, so they roll easier. I did only a few at a time so they don't start to cool & stiffen while I'm working on them. Maybe 3 at a time for 15 seconds.

2.) Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of the tortilla, flip it over, lay about 2 scoops of pie filling in a line on it, sprinkle it with some cinnamon sugar & roll it up.
This should leave the buttered side out to make the next step work well. And if you're not like me (I keep a large spice jar filled with cinnamon sugar in my cabinet for sprinkling on buttered toast) just mix some up using about 2 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon. Next time I'm thinking to add a drizzle of honey inside the roll up too. Let me know how it turns out if you try it first!


3.) Roll the rolled up tortilla in the cinnamon sugar on the plate & place it in a cake pan.
You can use a casserole dish or cookie sheet or whatever you have around the house. And just keep repeating this process until all of the pie filling is gone. Mine made about 10 roll ups.


4.) Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes.
Just enough to heat them & give the tortilla a little crunch.

I broke them in half & placed them in a bowl with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream & drizzled it with honey - about 4 pounds of it for Jackson. And it must have been good because, though there were only 4 of us here, they were all gone by morning. Yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment