Friday, July 19, 2013

Enough already! Fine, I'll do it! Let's start with CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE!

Visit the Mama Szasz website for more!

Just in the last 2 weeks I've copied, typed out, or listed over the phone, at least 15 recipes!  And half of these requestees said something like, "Do you have a blog you post these on? You should, they're great!"  Yea, yea, I know, I'm so far behind, technologically speaking, that I just upgraded my flip phone a few months ago!  AND I'm still not happy about that move!  This new phone (no, not even an i thingy or that annoying Droid one, or even a touch screen - just a phone that doesn't flip) it's like talking into a deck of cards or something!  I'm sure I still have a look on my face, when I'm using this new phone, like I'm holding a turd up to my cheek!  So starting a Blog is kind of a stretch for me, but here goes y'all.  Let's just hope the recipes make up for my technotardness.



                          So just today I received requests for these recipes:

Hearts of Palm Salad
 
Vinetta

Senegalese Stew
 
                                   BUT, since THIS is what my kitchen
                                  counter looks like right now:
 
 
I'm goin' with this request: CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE!
 
 
Yes, you read that right.  Some years my zuc plants 'bout bury me in these bad boys, so I've searched out & re-written & begged as many zucchini recipes as I can find!  And this one is a moist, rich, flavor-full cake that really will get the kids to eat their vegetables!

 
 
 
                                                             3 cups flour
                                                             2 tsp. baking powder
                                                             1 Tblsp. cinnamon
                                                             1 scant Tblsp. salt
                                                             3 cups sugar
                                                             1/2 cup cocoa
                                                             1 1/2 cups oil
                                                             4 eggs
                                                             2 Tblsp. vanilla
                                                             1 cup coconut
                                                             1 cup nuts (you can skip this if you're not a nut fan)
                                                             3 cups zucchini - grated
 
Sift together 1st 6 ingredients.  Make a well in the center & add remaining ingredients (except zucchini). Mix that all up, then fold in the zucchini.
 
Pour it into a greased 9x13 pan & bake at 325 for 90 minutes.
 
Allow to cool & dust with powdered sugar if you want - it really is rich enough to knock your socks off, even without frosting! But if your goal is to drop yourself into a chocolate coma, please, by all means, frost on!
 
And if you must,
                                                      then dear God, do it right!
 
Might I suggest,
                                                       for your chocolate coma delight:
 
 
ITALIAN  BERGAMOT  BLACK  TEA  GANACHE 
 
 
 
                                                    1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
                                                    8 Tblsp. Italian Bergamot Black Tea - bagged
                                                   16 oz. dark chocolate (I like Ghirardelli 70% cocoa)
                                                                         - finely chopped
 
Heat cream just to bubbling, remove from heat & add tea bags. Cover & steep for 15 minutes. You're probably going to have to go to a specialty tea shop for this, I don't think it can be found at your regular grocery store, but check the tea isle next time you're there, just in case.  Remove tea bags, pressing out any liquid.
 
But if you're just jonesin' for a chocolate fix & can't wait long enough to get to the little tea shop downtown, you really can skip this & just start with the directions below.
 
Return cream just to bubbling, remove from heat & stir in chocolate. Stir it 'til the chocolate is melted & the mixture looks shiny & smooth.  Dump it on your cooled cake & chow down!
 
 
 
Enjoy all!  And let me know what you think!
AFTER you come out of your chocolate stupor, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment